Sitemgr -> Content Manager -> Import -> Listings -> Download Template File
Please not that there are a number of common errors people make when importing CSV files. For more information, you can view our video on common errors.
We do advise that you download the CSV file template and just copy and paste your data to the appropriate fields to avoid Import errors due to incorrect formatting.
When formatting the data it is very important to remember a couple key things:
- DO NOT Add or Remove any columns from the spreadsheet. Each column in the downloaded CSV is specifically mapped to a particular table in the Database.
- DO NOT remove any of the text inside Row 1. Please begin filling your data in beginning with Row 2.
- Listing Title is the only required field for the import to properly run. However, we recommend filling out at least category and location so it is easier for end users to locate the listings you have imported.
- If you want an imported listing to be placed into a Sub-Category, please format the cell as Category->Sub-Category (with no spaces in between). Each listing can be associated with a maximum of 5 Categories / Sub-Categories.
When the file is ready, click Choose Your File and upload the file.
During the 3rd step of the import, the system will show you some preferences.
You can upload the file with CSV ou XLS extension. Please note that XLSX extension is not supported. The size of the file should not exceed 5MB. When you are ready, click Next.
(If you are going to import via FTP, please read this artice)
In the next page, the system will show you a preview of 5 listings and show to which column they belong so that you can check if everything is correct before you continue. To continue, click the Next button.
The import settings interface has several options you can reconfigure including:
- Default Level for imported items without level: This option sets a predefined Listing Level (bronze,silver,gold,diamond) if the Listing Level field in the csv file is left blank
- Set all imported items as active: This option automatically enables all listing data from the import as “Active”
- Import all new categories as featured: This option automatically sets all imported categories as featured so that the categories appear on the home page
- Overwrite matching items: This option verifies if the listing ID is from an existing listing, and if so updates the listing data as specified in the current import CSV file. You can verify the Listing ID when you export the listing data.
- Import items to the same account: This option assigns all listing data imported to a default account if the “Account Username” field in the csv file is blank.
Click Next when you are ready. Depending on the size of the file, it may take between 15 and 30 minutes to upload. You can check the process by clicking View Import log
The import log will show you the status of the import. If it is still processing it will show On Queue. If it is finished, it will show Completed. If there is a problem, it will show Error and show the reason of the error beneath the file.
- CSV headers does not match – this usually happens if the csv file header names has been altered. Click the plus icon to verify which particular header entry is incorrect.
- Renewal date error: The renewal date format must match the format you set in the configurations. (mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy).
- Location error: The location structure in the import must match the location structure you have in the sitemgr. For example if you enabled Country, State and City, you can't import a city without adding a country and state.
- User can't go to step 3: This happens when you upload an invalid file type such as XLSX. Please save your spreadsheet in CSV or XLS (without an x at the end) extension and try again.
- Import Stuck in Queue: If the import takes longer than 1 hour to load, then it means a cron job in the server has stuck and needs to be fixed. Please contact support by email: support@edirectory.
- Please contact support for other import related errors.
The eDirectory system does not have a tool to import just locations and we only have the location data of USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and Brazil. If you wish to bulk add locations, there is a work around available using the existing listing import tool. Please follow the following procedure:
Populating your Directory with Locations Using Import
- Download and use the CSV template available in your Sitemgr -> Data Management -> Import
- Fill out the location fields you wish to include. Country, Region, State, City, Neighborhood
- Since the Listing Title is the only required field you can use example listing titles such as listing1, listing2, listing3, etc. Rather than titles of real businesses.
- Import the File
- Once the file has finished importing, please navigate to the 'Import Log'. Once the import is finished, please click the downward pointing arrow and click Cancel Import. This process will remove the dummy listings you have added but locations you imported will remain intact.