Creating a Yelp API key is a straightforward process that involves registering for a Yelp Developer account and generating a unique API key. By obtaining an API key, you gain access to Yelp's data and services, allowing you to integrate Yelp functionality into your eDirectory website. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to create a Yelp API key:
Step 1: Create a Yelp Developer Account
- Visit the Yelp Developer website: https://www.yelp.com/developers.
- Sign in or create an account: if you already have a Yelp account, sign in using your credentials. If not, you will need to create a new account.
- On the next page, click on Yelp Fusion:
- Click on "Manage App":
Step 2: Create a New App
- Go to the Yelp Developer Dashboard, and click on the "Create App" option.
Fill in the App Details:
- App Name: Provide a unique and descriptive name for your app.
- App Website: Enter the URL of the website associated with your app.
- App industry: Provide the industry of your business.
- Contact email: Type your email address.
- App Description: Describe the purpose and functionality of your app.
- Verify that you are not a robot by completing the CAPTCHA.
- Click "Create App"
After providing all the necessary information, click on the "Create App" button to generate your Yelp API key.
Step 3: Retrieve Your API Key
- Once your app is created, you will be redirected to your App Dashboard.
- Find the section labeled "API Key" on your App Dashboard. Your unique Yelp API key will be displayed there.
- Copy Your API Key:
Step 4: Implement Your Yelp API Key
Now that you have obtained your Yelp API key, you can integrate it into your eDirectory website to access Yelp's data.
- Log into your site manager dashboard on eDirectory
- Navigate to Settings → General Settings → Plugins:
- Find the Yelp integration settings section
- Paste the Yelp API key you have previously copied on the field "API Key"
- Click on the button "Validadte Yelp Key"
- Hit "Save Changes"
Note: The Yelp integration is a plugin sold separately, if your site does not have the Yelp integration settings section, check this link for more details: Yelp Integration or contact your dedicated sales representative.
Protect Your API Key:
Treat your Yelp API key as sensitive information. Do not share it publicly or expose it in client-side code where it could be easily accessed by others.
Monitor Usage and Limits:
Keep track of your API usage and be aware of any rate limits imposed by Yelp to prevent service disruptions.
By following these steps, you'll successfully create a Yelp API key and be ready to incorporate Yelp's data into your eDirectory website.